Applications Called for 2017 World Childrens Baseball Fair
- Published on Friday, 10 March 2017 14:35
- Written by Ian McDonald
Applications are now being called for children to go to the prestigious World Childrens Baseball Fair (WCBF) in Yokohama, Japan.
The WCBF is held every year to promote worldwide baseball expansion, and at the same time, to provide a tool for international exchange among people from different nations around the world. During the WCBF event, children will have the opportunity to learn the BASIC SKILLS of baseball, with an emphasis on fun, participation, teamwork and friendship. This is a time for the children to enjoy and share their love of baseball and learn worldwide cultures.
Baseball New Zealand has been invited to send 5 players and 1 chaperone to this amazing event.
The WCBF generously covers the costs of airfares (from Auckland), airport taxes, accommodation, meals, local transportations, equipment, uniforms, recreational activities and travel insurance.
If you want the chance to be 1 of the lucky 5 players to go to Yokohama in August or be the chaperone please ensure you meet the Selection Criteria set by WCBF and Baseball New Zealand (attached).
Applications must be given to your local club President no later than Wednesday 22 March and submitted by the club to Baseball New Zealand, P O Box 91035, Victoria Street West, Auckland by Wednesday 29 March. Late entries will be not taken.
1. You MUST have valid New Zealand passport;
2. You MUST be 10 or 11 years old as of 8 August 2017 (that is your birthdate must be between 9 August 2005 and 8 August2007;
3. You MUST be in at least your second year of baseball and committed to the sport of baseball and representing your club;
4. You MUST submit all of the following:
1a. A one page handwritten essay about yourself, your baseball career to date, why you would like to go to the WCBF, how you will share your experience with others and something about Yokohama, Japan (this must be 1 page only and written by the applicant);
1b. A cover page with a photo of yourself, date of birth, phone numbers, email and home addresses and passport number;
1c. A recommendation letter from your school and approval to take time off.
1. You MUST be an adult (over 21 years of age);
2. You MUST have experience dealing with groups of children of this age;
3. You MUST NOT be a parent or relative of a participating child;
4. You MUST consent to a Police Vetting check if successful;
5. You MUST speak English fluently;
6. You MUST have good knowledge and interest in baseball (preference will be given to coaches who are committed to staying in baseball at a coaching level for at least two years);
7. You MUST submit all of the following:
1b. Character Reference from someone other than a baseball colleague;
1c. Written recommendation from the nominating club.